Skip to main content

Who needs a Visa?

Certain nationalities must be in possession of a valid Irish Visa when landing in the state.
  • Visa requirements are based on nationality (the country that issued the passport or travel document) not residency. 
  • Visa applications are made online with follow-up paperwork submitted to the relevant Consulate/Embassy. 
  • Please see for a list of countries that require a visa for Ireland.

Visas Types

  • Short Stay C Visa
  • Long Stay D Visa
  • The British Irish Visa Scheme
Visa Type  Purpose
Short Stay C Visa* A short stay business visa that allows you to travel to Ireland for up to 90
days for business or for work that lasts 14 days or less.
Long Stay D Visa*  A long stay visa must be applied for once you have obtained your employment
permit from the Department of Enterprise, Trade and Employment.

You can apply for an Employment visa up to 3 months before your date of
travel to Ireland. 
The British Irish Visa Scheme
Only available to Chinese and Indian nationals
Allows travel to and around the Common Travel Area on a single visa.

The holder of such a visa must first travel to the country that issued the visa. Thereafter, the holder can travel freely between Ireland and the U.K for the duration of that visa.

* Both multi-entry and single-entry visas can be applied for.

Atypical Working Scheme (AWS) Permission

For non-EEA nationals working in the State for more than 14 calendar days and less than 90 consecutive days.
  • Fee of €250.
  • Supported by letter from IDA Ireland.
  • This cannot be extended and only one AWS permission will be granted in a year.

Re-entry Visas

A valid Irish Residence Permit (IRP) card replaces re-entry visas.

Visa required nationals residing in Ireland with a valid permission to remain do not need to apply for a re-entry visa to return to the State if they leave for a short period of time.

Irish Residence Permit (IRP)

Upon arrival in the state the Immigration Officer may grant leave to enter for up to a maximum period of 90 days.
An individual holding an employment permit will need to contact their local Immigration Registration Officer in order to seek permission to remain in Ireland and apply for their IRP card.
For those living and working outside of Dublin this is usually located in their local Garda HQ. 
For applicants who are Dublin-based, there is an online appointments system for first time
IRP applications at the Burgh Quay Registration Office.

Dublin-based IRP cards holders can also renew their IRP cards online at

General Tips

  • Visa applications should be made well in advance of travel, as processing times may vary.
  • Long Stay Type D Visas can only be applied for once an Employment Permit has been obtained
  • Application must be initiated through AVATS, the Irish online visa application system.